Wednesday, March 23, 2011

A new Moi Thai fan

This morning the alarm clock woke me up together with the sound of the rain, I looked outside and it wasn't raining, it was the biggest pored rain I have ever seen! I was planning to go sun bathing by the pool on the roof so instead I went back to bed. After a consistent breakfast I headed to the BTS, the sky train to meet Ari by the National Stadium. Once there we have taken a taxi driven by a man so old I was keeping my eyes on the road all the time as I was completely sure he wasn't able to do so. We arrived to the Grand Palace at so called Wat Phta Kaew in the Ko Ratanakosin district. Getting off the taxi was welcomed by a man telling us to go to another door because we were not covered (arms and legs) but I found really estrange the way he was talking and specially that yhe taxi driver had told us the opposite direction. Ari kept telling me to go were the guy said and once we arrived there, there was a guy asking money. I think Ari is too good to people and doesn't seem to get when they are trying to take advantage as the first day I had to manihubre to get ride of a woman trying to trick her, that's why I told her from now on I will handle the weirdos and directions. Once in the temple we paid 350B and the complex was ok, but not extremely nice, just too big. It was still raining so taking pics was a complicated matter, besides that the majority of the temples were locked and it was packed with tourists. After a couple of hours we left as I expected to see some famous Budhas and I only saw one and tiny.

We headed to China town by taxi and I did notice the driver gave us a huge round about as we left the Grand temple 20min before passing by the temple again... The funny thing was also that once in china town we were telling him to drop us off and he kept on saying: "not yet"...
I did get to a point were I just told Ari: "tell him we are getting off or it doesn't matter how much the meter says we will pay the 60B that now shows" Having heard that comand the driver stopped and we could finally be walking on the smelly streets of China town.
I swear I can just eat by the smell in those streets (or vomit by that matter...) Ari wanted me to try Chinesse food so we went to a Chinesse restaurant (I have not tried Thai food yet... annoying...) but because of the smells the only thing I could eat were noodles and it has taken me 1hour to finish them off (I'm seriously thinking in moving here so I will keep a thin siluete). After lunch Ari went to work as a package on a motorbike!! It looks like the guys with the orange jumper are bike drivers and therefore like taxis but quicker (and scarier...)
On my side I wandered around looking at the map and trying to figure out where I was and where I wanted to go. After some moments of stress I ended up by the pier and it was so convenient! I remembered reading in my guide something about the Chao Phraya Express, a boat that like a bus covers the river's principal points. Cheaper thN the taxi and much quicker also, I returned back to Ko Ratanakosin to make a walking tour aroundthe Grand temple. In that tour I have seen the amulet market, lots of budhists, universities, official buildings and more, but the best has been the Wat Pho temple. Besides that it has been free and that is house to the teaching of massage and traditional Thai medicine, I had the opportunity to see all the Budhas that the Grand temple didn't offer. The reclined Budha, the fat one and thousands others that are located around all the patios and temples. A wonderful place to visit and recommend, also with few tourists.

My day has turned a bit dark when I had to meet Ari by the Nation Stadium and the taxi driver, besides of ripping me off under my consentiment and agreeing to bloody 120B for the ride, did not drop me to where I asked but to a Thai Boxing stadium full of scary guys. At the beginning I did not realize, but when I was out of the taxi to ask for the Sian square the people told me that wasn't the right place so I had to run back to the taxi that was about to leave to tell him he was a f&@ing idiot! He already had my money so I was worried he would just say a plain no. I asked for explanations in why he drop me there (and thanking my luck I did realized on time before he drove away...) the explanation was that when he asked me why I was going to the Siam sq I told him I wanted to watch a Moi Thai fight and he thought of a better place... (do I really need to explain him what is wrong with that???)

Anyway, at the end I arrived in one peace to watch the tournament and meet Ari. I do like the Moi Thai, since the world cup final I watched yesterday that I think it is an impressive martial art and so a fan of it has born! Today it was as great as yesterday as yesterday were the world champions in that, but it has been very entertaining also. To remember that this is called MBK night fight and it is for free right by the MBK shopping center every Wednesday from 6pm to 8.30pm.

Having seen some blood we have been to the night market, an extended marley alongside the main street at Siam. After some wondering around we have decided to leave the Thai massage for later on and go back home (me to the hotel-suite) where I bought a flight ticket to head to Phuket tomorrow midday.

After this long Internet session just closing my eyes and rest for tomorrow's journey!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ana! Phuket is full of lady-boys and is fairly trashy, don't stay there too long. The only island I went to was Ko Phi Phi. I would recommend it, it was nice and relaxing! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Meredith! I will follow your advise, I think I'll go asap to Koh Phi phi. I just want to have a look at Phuket town and that will be it!

    ReplyDelete