Friday, March 25, 2011

Motorbike fly

Yesterday night, after writing the blog I went out to visit Patong; it was full of people, really lively. I walked through the dark streets only illuminated by the neon lights and with the sound of the music. A bit too much for a girl that is traveling alone... I had dinner in something that seemed like a restaurant outside and cleaner than the others. For some reason I had a police officer looking at me the whole time I was there, I didn't know if to feel scared of safe.... After dinner I wanted to have a drink in one of those bars, specially at "the beach bar" but it put me off the quantity of men and on the other side the women being there... 
Well, I decided that Patong wasn't for me, specially the hotel I was staying in as there were 2 old drunken men by my door room trying to get next door. As soon as I got reception I booked an hotel in Phuket town to get away from there but....

Today I regret it because I had an amazing time!!! I woken up very early, packed my suitcase and went to walk around and to swim to the beach. With the daylight everything looked better! It was cloudy and it drop rain from time to time but it was nice, I had a nap on the beach sand and after taking a shower back at the hotel I left the suitcase in reception and went to rent a motorbike. They rent it by days, but as I was supposed to leave during the afternoon and I was going to use it only for a few hours the guy made me a discount 200B instead of 300B.
That was the best thing I did!! Leaving on a side that I swallowed more pollution and dust that in all my life, I had an amazing time!! I still am a motorbike fly!! I thought that with all these years without riding it I would be hopeless, like when I first used it: 15 years old and I couldn't release the gas so I almost clash with a parked car. That was not the situation: I did drive up and down the island, squeezing between cars and even on the main road speeding side by side with lorries. I stopped and went walking to visit some stalls and ended up having a Thai massage! I didn't know it was the full body, but I was about to say no when she asked me to undress completely (I looked at the door to see if I could run...) she saw my face and said: ok, you can leave your bikini on! She also gave me some sort of trousers but then she insisted I had to take off my top of my bikini as she couldn't work properly. It was fine, she closed some curtains and for an hour I had the Thai massage for an hour (a bit too hard for me... It was even painful and some times I just wanted her to stop it but it was a good experience)

After the massage.... motorbike again! And I found a shopping center!! I could eat properly!! Yeah! The parking was packed with motorbikes and I put an extra effort in remembering the location o mine. After eating in a proper restaurant I went back to the beach to give the motorbike back and to have a swim in the sea. It still was cloudy so this time I didn't bother with the sun screen.... MISTAKE! now I'm like a tomato and the aftersun won't help.. How is that even possible?!? Cloudy, just in the beach for less than  an hour and sunburnt... 

Well, after apparently sunburning without having a clue of it I took a bus that runs from Patong to Phuket packed with people!! It was just for 25B and I was lucky to take it on the first stop because after that you have to stand up as it runs full. Now I'm in Phuket town as after the bus left me in the center of the town a taxi took me to my hotel. funny enough now I regret to have left Patong because of the amazing time I had with the motorbike and now that I new the area I would have felt more comfortable with that drink and also I saw some snorkeling excursions and lots of activities to do; however, under any circumstance I would have stayed in the same hotel!

Phuket town is boring compared with the rest I have been to. The hotel is nice as I booked it yesterday online myself and it is exactly in the center. I've been around and there is not much, just shops and shopping centers, I'm gonna book the hotel for tomorrow's new destination: Koh phi phi island, hopefully in the morning I won't regret don't stay longer as I'm planning to wake up early to do some site-seeing.

2 comments:

  1. You should book the tour that leaves from Ko Phi Phi and goes to monkey island and the island where they filmed The Beach, it's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you can see in my other entries I followed your advise but as messy as this "holiday" was I ended up not being able to make the excursion...

    ReplyDelete