Thursday, March 24, 2011

Like match.com

Today I woke up early to pack my suitcase, on the meanwhile Ari is coming to my hotel to spend the morning with me and to give a mobile phone so I only need to buy a sim card at the airport later on. She is really sweet, she told me that if I lose it doesn't matter because it's old and from a friend and it is a fake iPhone. I fully got what she meant when at the airport I went to get the sim card in and the phone fell apart, the screen it comes off like a posit paper and I spent 30min trying to call her to give her my number (Mental note: in an emergency do not use that phone to try to call, specially if by emergency I don't have 30min to try to click numbers)

Anyway, we spent the morning packing and in the swimming pool till my taxi came (300B and a great clean car, that shows the rip off of 450B on the way to Bangkok)

Right now I'm at Phuket airport, I flies with Air Asia and it was a pleasant flight but I was worried as I did not have a clue of where I was going to sleep tonight. I keep reading the guide and trying to sort out in my mind where to go so I can start with the hotel bookings once we landed, but when that time came... There was too many signs, people shouting directions as to concentrate in anything so I sat down, relaxed and started calling the hotels I had in my guide- all fully booked already. After some minutes of panic wanting to be elsewhere I went to the information desk and they pointed out a reservations agent... Another ripped off situation but that was the most sensitive thing to do now: take any hotel that seems nice. I have taken one that is on the beach and although there is not breakfast included and the pictures are a bit tacky, I just want to be on the beach (even if it is cloudy...)
I paid 150B for a van drive and we are now on our way, after waiting to complete the 12 seats' van with more passengers. (I will write later on)

I'm already at the hotel... While we were waiting in the van at the airport a couple told me that getting the hotel at the airport was the worst thing to do because are expensive and the pictures they show u are not what they send u to... I regret to inform that this is completely true... It reminds me to match.com, the dating website that the picture you can see is completely different to the reality and some times you get to think they upload another persons' photos.

I decided to come to Patong and I'm in a disgusting hotel room being bitten by mosquitos (even with the strongest jungle formula repelent)
One thing is right, the hotel is by the beach but not exactly as we are in the main road in front of the beach, not the private property shown in the pictures. Also, there is a swimming pool yeah... Next door... In a different hotel and you have to walk on the street. The room looks more or less fine on the surface, the hotel itself doesn't seem nice even if u have your eyes close... My window has views to the downstairs kitchen pipes and I swear if I don't lose weight from this starvation I will never do then.

Now I'm off to wander around the street, hopefully I will be able to eat something and to see the night life in the streets (I news to keep in mind this is just for one night...)

2 comments:

  1. Loquilla... reserva el hotel al menos un dia antes o dos porque algunos sitios rusticos de Tailandia no tienen confirmacion de reserva inmediata. Especialmente si vas a Phi phi porque es una isla muy pequenha y apenas hay hoteles, asi que reservalo antes.
    Phuket no merece tanto la pena como las islas de alrededor. Phuket esta bien pero si tienes facilidad de moverte por toda la isla... sino Patong es muy muy turista.
    Piensa en la aventura que estas viviendo... Espero que te lo estes pasando genial. A Londres ha llegago definitivamente la primavera (a ver cuanto dura!!!!!).

    XXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me lo estoy pasando genial loca, bueno, dentro de lo que cabe esto es todo una experiencia. He leido tu consejo, pero no tengo días para hacer la reserva, así que tendrá que ser de esta noche para mañana y esperemos tener suerte!

    ReplyDelete